33 responses

  1. Ameet gaikwad
    October 9, 2011

    Brilliant article and very helpful..keep up the good work.

    • Akosha Team
      October 10, 2011

      Thank you very much Ameet.

      Do share the article with your friends too.


  2. Akosha (@MyAkosha)
    October 21, 2011

    Our popular article on filing an FIR + a small tip on what to do if police refuses to file the FIR http://t.co/eXAxzplR Please RT.

  3. Naushad
    October 21, 2011

    What if the Police Officer says that the Crime happend in my area BUT you reside in so and so area and refuses to lodge an FIR and asks us to go to our residential police station do to.

    • Akosha Team
      October 21, 2011

      Yeah that happens frequently.

      We don’t think there is much that can be done about that – they are correct in sending you to the right police station, except this whole thing takes ridiculous proportions (completely ignoring the situation).

      – Akosha team

    • Ashutosh
      February 12, 2012

      There is a concept of “Zero-FIR”. It means that the FIR can be taken down in any police station/irrespective of place of incident/jurisdiction and can be transferred later-on to the appropriate police station. But the policemen will usuall deny knowledge of “zero-fir” and direct you to appropriate PS.

      • Akosha Team
        February 15, 2012

        Hey Ashutosh – we haven’t heard of this concept. Can you tell us the relevant provision in CrPC or IPC or any other legislation? It would be very useful for all our readers.

        Akosha Team

      • Rohit
        January 14, 2014

        U cant go for “Zero-FIR”. U can file “Zero-FIR” only if u stay in diff state and crime happ in diff state or long dist. place/city..

  4. Sahil Chalana
    October 21, 2011

    Nice article Ankur and team!!!

    • Akosha Team
      October 21, 2011

      Thanks Sahil.

  5. Kasivishwanath (@viswaraaga)
    October 22, 2011

    @Chinmayi "@MyAkosha:article on filing an FIR + a small tip on what to do if police refuses to file the FIR http://t.co/2bOt4mWf Please RT."

  6. Kasivishwanath (@viswaraaga)
    October 22, 2011

    "@MyAkosha:popular article on filing an FIR + a small tip on what to do if police refuses to file the FIR http://t.co/2bOt4mWf Please RT."

  7. pankaj kumar
    December 19, 2011

    Thanks for nice and appropriate suggestion ,

    • Akosha Team
      December 19, 2011

      Thanks Pankaj!

  8. Akosha (@MyAkosha) (@MyAkosha)
    December 29, 2011

    All you wanted to know about filing an FIR: a quick guide http://t.co/5jArDf38 #akosha #useful #tip

  9. rabi gupta
    December 29, 2011

    So you mean to say theft is non-cognizable offense? So for eg my bro’s Laptop got stolen from Car and he needed an FIR as it was an office Laptop. In such case is Police obliged to file an FIR?

    • Akosha Team
      December 29, 2011

      Hey Rabi – that was a mistake. Theft would be cognizable. Have made the changes. Thanks for pointing it out.

      Akosha team

  10. Najeeb
    January 4, 2012

    Very Informative. This kind of article is very helpful to the normal people to keep the LAW perfect. Most of the people in india facing some problem while they went to a police station for some reason. Some Police Officers wont do thier job and make the people suffer. So it will be very help if you continue posting / replying answers to normal person like me.

  11. Atish
    July 28, 2012

    hey guys,
    some guys got drunk in my pub, refused to pay the bill, but eventually did after verbally abusing my bar tender n the waiter, on the way out the broke my glass entrance door. this happened around 10.30 pm and i filed an fir the next day. my bartender says he can recognize one guy if he sees him again. now what the police is saying to inform them if the guy comes to the pub again, which is very rare. the police didnt even visit the pub n analized the damage. ironically the police station is just 50 mtrs from my pub. there is no investigation and the fir has been put in some old file to rot…help me out bro

    • Runjhun
      July 28, 2012

      Hi Atish,

      Thank you for your comment but we are really sorry, we are not the right organization to address your problem. We are a consumer blog and Akosha is a consumer forum and cannot really help you with irregularities in investigation by police. You should take up this matter with the concerned higher authority.


  12. Sony Jain
    September 16, 2012

    Hello , I want to know what If a person beats a person that he gets seriously injured (braking of bones), does this belong to cognizable or non cognizable case?

    • Arun Gautam
      March 21, 2013

      Its Cognizable offence

  13. Bipul Borgohain
    September 30, 2012

    Informative article.Nice.

    • Runjhun Noopur
      October 1, 2012

      Thanks Bipul!

  14. Vishal Gosavi
    November 6, 2012

    really very useful information..

  15. Sharad Shah
    November 7, 2012

    Very good information. People of India are suffering lot due to the present situation of law and order in the country. Administration and judiciary is the worst and every person is under fear. Such articles will help people to understand law and procedure. But there is a need to support further by extending a service of a good and reasonable lawyer who can help to avail justice at low cost. My heartily thanks to the entire team members.

  16. Clementinus Farro
    November 11, 2012

    SENIOR CITIZEN age 72 yrs old on 9/11/12 her house lock was broken and unknow person entred her house senior inspector dadar police station did not register the FIR and made senior lady sit for 6 hrs with out food and water at local worli koliwada beat mumbai senior inspector prakash patil invol;ved.

  17. Ripu Daman
    December 26, 2012

    If a file copy of case is misplaced or removed from court then how to find the case file copy so that to obtain the bail from court.

  18. Narendra
    April 7, 2013

    Does a fraud come under category of Cognizable Offences? There are a few Online Traders like TIMTARA.COM who are receiving money but not supplying the goods ordered, despite false promises.
    Such cases fall under the CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT 1986, as Unfair Trade Practice. But the procedure is too long to get justice.

  19. febin
    October 7, 2013

    thank you for ur help

  20. febin
    October 7, 2013

    Thanks for nice and appropriate suggestion ,

  21. D.Harish Rao
    October 9, 2013

    i have already given complaint to the police station and i receive the fir also and those are i can send to mobile theft insurance office chennai but they can’t help me.
    please i hope you may help me

Leave a Reply




Back to top
mobile desktop