Format For Filing A Consumer Court Complaint

Format For Filing A Consumer Court Complaint


A lot of our readers have asked us for help with approaching consumer forums. So we are publishing the format in which consumer forums accept the complaints. Make sure you read Filing a consumer complaint – the no-nonsense guide and Frequently Asked Questions: Consumer Complaints.

Main points to remember:

1.       Identify the correct district consumer forum. Here is a link to deciding which consumer forum you should apply to.

2.       Make sure you state the facts clearly but not be too verbose either.

3.       Make sure you write the jurisdiction clause carefully.

4.       When you ask for compensation, don’t go overboard. Decide something reasonable. It should not look like that you are trying to make a quick buck out of the complaint.

Do feel free to drop us a mail at support AT akosha DOT com if you have any questions or leave a comment below.

Download the MS WORD version here – Draft Consumer Court Complaint – Format.










Before the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum at




  1. [complainant name], [complainant address].




  1. . [company name], [company registered office address]

[add more party if the company has branch office in your city]


…Opposite Party


Complaint under Section 12 of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986



1. That the Complainant is a resident of [Complainant’s Address] and had [describe the issue].

That the facts of the present case, in brief, are as follows.

2. ___________________________________________________________________ [Briefly describe facts of the complaint in point numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6].

3. That the __________________________________________________________.

4. That _____________________________________________________________.

5. That _____________________________________________________________.


6.  That the complainant is unhappy with the service meted out to him and he stands on very firm legal ground in claiming __________________________. This apathetic and apparently deceitful attitude of the opposite party reflects its indifference to the complainant’s plight. [Add a case law if available].

7. That this Hon’ble Forum has got pecuniary jurisdiction to entertain this Complaint as the compensation claimed does not exceed Rs.____________/-. [In case of district forum enter amount Rs. 20,00,000/-, State Forum enter Rs. 1 crore and in case of National Forum enter more than 1 crore]

8. That this Hon’ble Forum has got the jurisdiction to adjudicate and decide the same as the opposite party have a branch office [or head office] in __________. Hence, the matter falls within the territorial jurisdiction of this forum.

9. That the Opposite Party have inflicted enormous amount of mental agony and financial loss on the Complainant.

10. That the present complaint is within the limitation as prescribed under the Act because the deficient service was provided to the Complainant by the Opposite Party.

11. That the Complainant has not filed any such or similar complaint before Hon’ble Court. No such or similar complaint is pending adjudication before any competent court of law.


It is, therefore, respectfully prayed that this Hon’ble Court may kindly be pleased to:-

i)     direct the opposite party to apologize for all the inconvenience caused to the Complainant;

ii)    direct the opposite party to make up for the mistake by refunding the full ticket amount to the complainant;

iii)   pay a sum of Rs. 50,000/- towards the physical strain and mental agony suffered by the Complainant and his family members; and

iv)   direct the opposite party to pay a sum of Rs. 1,000/- towards cost of this petition

For which act of kindness, the Complainant shall, as is duty bound, ever pray.

[Place]                                                                        Complainant



Verified that the contents of Para nos. 1 to 11 of the complaint are true and correct to the best of my knowledge. No part of it is false and nothing has been concealed there from.



Dated:                                                                                    Complainant










Before the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum –_________


Complaint No. _______________ of 2011


[complainant name], [complainant address].




. [company name], [company registered office address]


…Opposite Party


Affidavit of [Complainant name and address]

I the above named deponent do hereby solemnly affirm and declare as under:-

1.         That I am the complainant in the above case, thoroughly conversant with the facts and circumstances of the present case and competent to swear this affidavit.

2.         That the facts contained in my accompanying complaint, the contents of which have not been repeated herein for the sake of brevity may be read as an integral part of this affidavit and are true and correct to my knowledge.


Dated:                                                                                    Deponent


I, the above named deponent do hereby solemnly verify that the contents of my above affidavit are true and correct to my knowledge. No part of it is false and nothing material has been concealed therein.

Verified this …….day of 20…….at……..


Date:                                                                                       Deponent


File your consumer complaint here.


  1. can we change the complaint once filed with the consumer forum?
    could you please give the format to change the particular clause of the complaint filed alongwith the affidavit to filed with it?

    I’m told to revise the prayer clause as, lawyer had not included some important clause in it.

  2. That total amount paid by the petitioner Rs. 37,47,952 to Guiness securities limited for purchasing of equity shares and petitioner accumulated day to day earned profit approx. rs. 3,41,056/-. That the total amount lying with the said broker Rs. 40,89,008/-..That the said broker made unauthorised transactions without my knowledge and consent in my trading code no. M2732.That the petitioner purchased 250 united spirits for Rs. 1,39,677/-,107000 Jaiprakash associates for Rs. 37,47,952, 200 shares of TCS for Rs. 2,26,527 and 1000 shares of Jetairways for Rs. 2,63,098/-.The said broker issued contract notes. But unfortunately Guiness securities limited did not transfer those equity shares to my demat account and they have sold all the equity shares without transferring in my demat account and thereby misuse my trading code making unauthorised transactions which is contrary to the bye laws and regulations of the National Stock exchange of India Limited and after selling those equity shares the said broker did not paid/issue cheques for the sale proceeds as yet. under going through the aforesaid circumstances and facts your complaintant petitioner legitimately prays to yourself to pass an order against Guiness securities Limited either for transfer those above mentioned equity shares to my demat account or issue cheques of current market value of all equity shares with accrued interest @ 24% per year i.e. Rs. 53,78,529/- .

  3. dear sir
    urban land cieling no oblection certificat is not riecived from last 5 years
    fees paid recieved court order to authorities
    can i file in consumar court
    b v kulkarni