A lot of our readers have asked us for help with approaching consumer forums. So we are publishing the format in which consumer forums accept the complaints. Make sure you read Filing a consumer complaint – the no-nonsense guide and Frequently Asked Questions: Consumer Complaints.
Main points to remember:
1. Identify the correct district consumer forum. Here is a link to deciding which consumer forum you should apply to.
2. Make sure you state the facts clearly but not be too verbose either.
3. Make sure you write the jurisdiction clause carefully.
4. When you ask for compensation, don’t go overboard. Decide something reasonable. It should not look like that you are trying to make a quick buck out of the complaint.
Do feel free to drop us a mail at support AT akosha DOT com if you have any questions or leave a comment below.
Download the MS WORD version here – Draft Consumer Court Complaint – Format.
Before the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum at
- [complainant name], [complainant address].
- . [company name], [company registered office address]
[add more party if the company has branch office in your city]
Complaint under Section 12 of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986
1. That the Complainant is a resident of [Complainant’s Address] and had [describe the issue].
That the facts of the present case, in brief, are as follows.
2. ___________________________________________________________________ [Briefly describe facts of the complaint in point numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6].
3. That the __________________________________________________________.
4. That _____________________________________________________________.
5. That _____________________________________________________________.
6. That the complainant is unhappy with the service meted out to him and he stands on very firm legal ground in claiming __________________________. This apathetic and apparently deceitful attitude of the opposite party reflects its indifference to the complainant’s plight. [Add a case law if available].
7. That this Hon’ble Forum has got pecuniary jurisdiction to entertain this Complaint as the compensation claimed does not exceed Rs.____________/-. [In case of district forum enter amount Rs. 20,00,000/-, State Forum enter Rs. 1 crore and in case of National Forum enter more than 1 crore]
8. That this Hon’ble Forum has got the jurisdiction to adjudicate and decide the same as the opposite party have a branch office [or head office] in __________. Hence, the matter falls within the territorial jurisdiction of this forum.
9. That the Opposite Party have inflicted enormous amount of mental agony and financial loss on the Complainant.
10. That the present complaint is within the limitation as prescribed under the Act because the deficient service was provided to the Complainant by the Opposite Party.
11. That the Complainant has not filed any such or similar complaint before Hon’ble Court. No such or similar complaint is pending adjudication before any competent court of law.
It is, therefore, respectfully prayed that this Hon’ble Court may kindly be pleased to:-
i) direct the opposite party to apologize for all the inconvenience caused to the Complainant;
ii) direct the opposite party to make up for the mistake by refunding the full ticket amount to the complainant;
iii) pay a sum of Rs. 50,000/- towards the physical strain and mental agony suffered by the Complainant and his family members; and
iv) direct the opposite party to pay a sum of Rs. 1,000/- towards cost of this petition
For which act of kindness, the Complainant shall, as is duty bound, ever pray.
Verified that the contents of Para nos. 1 to 11 of the complaint are true and correct to the best of my knowledge. No part of it is false and nothing has been concealed there from.
AFFIDAVIT IN SUPPORT OF THE COMPLAINT
Before the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum –_________
Complaint No. _______________ of 2011
[complainant name], [complainant address].
. [company name], [company registered office address]
Affidavit of [Complainant name and address]
I the above named deponent do hereby solemnly affirm and declare as under:-
1. That I am the complainant in the above case, thoroughly conversant with the facts and circumstances of the present case and competent to swear this affidavit.
2. That the facts contained in my accompanying complaint, the contents of which have not been repeated herein for the sake of brevity may be read as an integral part of this affidavit and are true and correct to my knowledge.
I, the above named deponent do hereby solemnly verify that the contents of my above affidavit are true and correct to my knowledge. No part of it is false and nothing material has been concealed therein.
Verified this …….day of 20…….at……..
File your consumer complaint here.